Garuda Indonesia Economy Class DPS-SYD

Flight 10/12: Denpasar to Sydney

Almost home. Almost. Bali airport is just as…classy…as I remember it being. Despite the cosmetic facelift, nothing changes the hoards of loudmouthed drunken Australian Bintang bogans.

I had almost 7 hours to kill in Bali before my flight back to Sydney. As we were coming in to land, I saw the airport surf break and was almost tempted to head in to town, hire a board, and go surf for a few hours before going back to the airport. I didn’t. I did the boring thing and went straight to the international terminal and went through security. I was bored.

Because I already had my boarding pass, I went straight through security and immigration. Security cracked it over my underwater camera gear and made me pull everything out – lenses, housing, strobes, lights, trays, handles, the lot…Because of course nobody in Bali has ever seen underwater camera gear on the x-ray before? lol

Anyway, I spent most of the layover sitting around a coffee shop drinking more…Coffee! Although this time it wasn’t Starbucks – but only because there is no Starbucks post-security at Bali airport, they’re apparently too classy for that. I also tried to find a book I wanted to buy, and a couple of gifts to take home for someone, but I was stunned at the lack of tacky gifts in the airport. I miss the old international terminal! The one that had a mix of the high end stores and the trashy souvenirs. I needed the trashy souvenirs for a change, and there’s nowhere to buy them! What is this? Bali, stop pretending.

I also bought some apple chips to snack on, because there was surprisingly little vegetarian food available, let alone vegan or gluten free.


My snack food…

My boredom returned. The wifi is crap. How is it that just about every other airport in Indonesia has better wifi than Bali?

We ended up boarding about 45 minutes late. I was not even remotely surprised. There were so many drunk and obnoxious passengers, it made me cringe. Just as I sat down in my usual window seat, the woman in the seat next to me (a middle seat) started complaining about being uncomfortable, and was basically demanding that I swap seats with her. In no universe ever would I willingly swap a window seat for a middle seat. I pretty much told her as much, and that if her comfort was such a big deal, then perhaps in the future she should be more organised with checking in early. She had a go at me, I retaliated. I wasn’t very nice, and I hate to say “well, she started it…” but well, she did. I won’t put up with that kind of DYKWIA attitude from people at the best of times – I’d been travelling the entire day and was tired, so it was not the best of times.

Shortly after take-off we got a midnight snack. Mine was a small fruit tub, washed down with some Coke Zero. I don’t like dragonfruit much, so I left that alone.


The midnight VGML…

I attempted (unsuccessfully) to sleep after that. Screaming babies – enough said. Got some rest though. About 90 minutes before landing they brought around breakfast. I was given the menu card, but they did confirm I had the VGML. I attach a photo of the menu just for interests sake.


The breakfast VGML: fried vegetables, some sliced fruit, a pastry, and a bread roll with butter and jam. I ate the vegetables and fruit.


The regular breakfast menu…

We made up a bit of time during the flight and only landed a little late. Then the chaos in Sydney ensued. Baggage shenanigans. Quarantine shenanigans. Inter-terminal transfer shenanigans. I eventually made it over to domestic.


Have something to say? Say it here!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s